NTSE Sample Questions 2016-17 : English (Gujrat State) Stage-1
1. Give the name of poet of poem, 'The patriot'.
(A) Robert Browning (B) Henry Fransis Lyte
(C) Hans Anderson (D) Laurence Houseman
2. Prof. Hawking earned fame for which research?
(A) Mystery of Plants. (B) Mystery of Black hole.
(C) Mystery of Space (D) Mystery of Aging.
3. What is the meaning of conjurer?
(A) Wonder (B) Scholar
(C) Magician (D) Musician
4. The poem 'Independence' is taken from the collection from _______________
(A) Propa Propa Ganda (B) Life is fine
(C) Daddy (D) the poor ghost
5. On which date did the fire start?
(A) August 14, 1966 (B) January 16, 1966
(C) September 2, 1966 (D) March 1, 1966
6. The author of 'A visit to Cambridge' felt relief and exhilaration because _______
(A) His body was strong.
(B) Hawking was weak.
(C) He had suddenly gained strength.
(D) He learnt that even the disabled body could do a lot.
7. The little match girl' story is famous for __________
(A) Its poignant tragedy (B) Because of its beauty
(C) None of these (D) Both A and B
8. Under Fire' by Laurence Housman which character is not found?
(A) Prince Albert (B) The Queen
(C) Andrea (D) Court Usher
9. Who wrote the poem ‘Ants’?
(A) Anon (B) Whittier
(C) Henry W. Longfellow (D) Grabriel Okara
10. The author Mulkraj Anand says, "Mustard field like melting gold because _______
(A) The mustard flowers are yellow in colour.
(B) The mustard flowers are golden yellow in colour.
(C) The mustard flowers are red and yellow in colour.
(D) The mustard flowers are green and yellow in colour.
11. Who understand the value of independence or freedom?
(A) Slave (B) Owner
(C) Servant (D) Merchant
12. What was the name of the ship that sank after being hit (to strike against) by an iceberg?
(A) Oscar (B) Vikrant
(C) Titanic (D) Cruise
13. The Ants work in
(A) Individually (B) Separately
(C) Gang (D) Couple
14. Marcus hated _____
(A) walking (B) barking
(C) dreaming (D) sleeping
15. Jim Bishop's father was ______
(A) a priest (B) a policemen
(C) a soldier (D) a diamond merchant
16. The poet compares the songs sung by his mother with __________
(A) cuckoo's song (B) hymns
(C) tinkling sounds of streams (D) din
17. _________ was Miko's weak point.
(A) Imagining (B) counting
(C) minding sleep (D) complaining
18. When Dr. Sher Singh checked the patient's reflexes. They were __________
(A) loud and clear (B) on the dot
(C) Clear and strong (D) weak and unsteady
19. The instructor was rather shocked to see that the writer had drawn ________ in his book.
(A) stem cells (B) Flower plants
(2) his own eye (D) a lens
20. Bolenciecwez was asked a question on ________ that he could not reply even after a lot of
prompting till very late.
(A) Plant cell (B) mechanics of flora
(C) means of transportation (D) Animal cells
21. ‘A wrong Man in worker's Paradise' is written by __________
(A) James Thurber (B) Jan morris
(C) Ruskin Bond (D) Rabindranath Tagore
22. Jerome K. Jerome was not having only one disease and that was ________
(A) St. vitus's Dance (B) gout
(C) house maid's Knee (D) Zymosis