(Download) CBSE Class-12 2016-17 Sample Paper And Marking
Time: 3 Hours
Max. Marks: 70
All questions are compulsory
Question paper consists of 4 sections A,B,C and D
Question numbers 1 to 6 are very short answer questions each
carrying one mark
Question numbers 7 to 14 are short answer questions each
carrying two marks
Question numbers 15 to 25 are also short answer questions
each carrying three marks
Question numbers 26 to 28 are long answer questions each
carrying five marks
There is no overall choice. However an internal choice has
been provided in one question of three marks and two questions of five
marks. You have to attempt only one of the choices in such questions.
Use of calculators is not permitted. However, you may use
log tables, if necessary.
1. How is oxygen provided in fermentors? 1
2. Why is a pilot plant essential in microbial culture works? 1
3. As a biotechnologist, what would you suggest to a farmer for
successful pollination or fertilization in plants.
4. Why do plant cells in culture require nutrient media for
5. Why is splitting of animal cells essential? 1
6. Name the first drug to be produced by mammalian cell culture?
7. Which type of restriction enzymes are used in RDT and why? 2
8. Explain in brief any two types of non-covalent interactions
found in proteins.
9. Which type of DNA library would you prefer for liver cells.
Give proper explanation for making such a library.
10. How can you maximize protein stability during
purification?Write any two parameters for the same.
11. Number of genes is not related to the complexity of an
organism.Give reasons.12. Calculate the generation time of a bacterial
population in which the number of bacteria increase from 104 /ml to 107/ml
during four hours of exponential growth.
13. Ti plasmid vector of Agrobacteriuntumefaciens is
disarmed.Where is the gene of interest incorporated in Ti plasmid?
14. Why are serum and antibiotics essential as growth
supplements for animal cells in culture?
15. How are pUC 19 vectors used for the selection of
16. Yeast cells have been transformed with Yep vector containing
our gene of interest. How would you select the recombinants over cells not
containing the plasmid?
17. Describe the principle of MALDI technique. Write its two
main uses in protein studies.
What are the principles behind Iso electric focusing and SDS PAGE
techniques? Why is 2D electrophoresis better than single dimension
18. How is an extracellular protein purified from a fermentation
medium? Illustrate the steps with a flowchart.
19. What are SNPs?Explain the relevance of studying these citing
any two of their important applications.
20.Graphically differentiate between fed batch and continuous
Which type of culture system is most suitable for obtaining maximum amount of
21. How does the metagenomics approach help to identify novel
genes present in the environment? Explain the process.
22. What are edible vaccines? How are they better than
conventional vaccines?Give any two points.
23. What are somatic hybrids?How are they produced? 3
24. Give a brief outline of the technique for production of
monoclonal antibodies.Why are monoclonal antibodies preferred over serum
antibodies in diagnostics and therapeutics?
25. How would you scale up kidney cells grown in culture?