NEW!  CBSE Papers PDF: Class-X, Class-XII 

(FAQs) Frequently Asked Questions Summative Assessment II for Class X

Disclaimer: This website is not at associated with CBSE, For official website of CBSE visit -

Central Board of Secondary Education

Summative Assessment II for Class X
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q1 Who is eligible to appear for school conducted SA-II?
Students of Senior Secondary Schools who do not wish to move out of the CBSE system.

Q2 Who is eligible to appear in the Board conducted SA-II?
i. All the students of Secondary Schools; and  ii. Students of Senior Secondary Schools, if they wish to move out of the CBSE system.

Q3 If I intend to change my school after Class X but do not want to change the CBSE Board, do I need to sit for the Board conducted SA-II?

Ans. If you are a student of a Secondary School, then you need to sit for Board conducted SA-II; if you are a student of a Senior Secondary School, then you need to sit for the School conducted SA-II only.

Q4 Will the certificates of those students who appear in School conducted SA-II and Board conducted SA-II be different?
Ans. No, the certificate being issued by the Board to all the students passing out of the CBSE affiliated schools whether they have appeared in School conducted SA-II or Board conducted SA-II will be the same.

Q5 Will the syllabus for Board conducted SA-II cover the entire year (first and second term) and that for school conducted SA-II be for the second term only?
Ans. No, the syllabus for both types of SA-II will be the same and it will be the one prescribed by the Board for the Second term only. This is available on the CBSE Website (

Q6 Will the method of assessment between the Board conducted SA-II and School conducted SA-II will be different?
Ans. No, both types of Answer Books will be assessed based on the Marking Scheme prepared by the Board. The assessment under Board Conducted SA-II will be done by the school teachers from outside the school, while that under School Conducted SA-II will be done by the school teachers of the same school.

Q7 If I have taken School conducted SA-II and I am transferred to a place where there are no CBSE affiliated school, will other Boards admit me in Class XI?
Ans. As the certificate at the end of Class is going to be issued by the CBSE there should not be any problem for you in getting admission in Class XI, as there is equivalence between Class X of different Boards.

Q8 If I sit for Board conducted SA-II, will my certificate show Grades for only SA-II obtained by me and not Grades given to me by the School under CCE throughout the year?
Ans. No, Board conducted SA-II will only be one part of the overall statement of assessment to be issued by the Board. The certificate will show the overall Grades obtained by you in Summative and Formative Assessments (SA and FA). SA consists of both the Summative Assessments and FA consists of all the four Formative Assessments.

Q9 How will a School know whether I am leaving the CBSE system or not? (Student Query)
Ans. Schools are asking the Parents to give in writing about their intention to continue in the CBSE system or otherwise.

Q10 If I give in writing that I am leaving the CBSE system and after the end of Class X results I do not go outside the CBSE system or want to stay in the same school, will I be forced by the school to leave the CBSE system or my school?
Ans. You are expected to make a conscious decision before giving in writing about your intention of going out of CBSE system. But having given in writing that you are going to leave the CBSE system, you may probably
forego your priority in admission in Class XI in the same school. However, such cases would be dealt with on merit by the school as they have autonomy to decide and the CBSE has never micro managed schools as per
past practice.

Q11 Some of the schools are liberal in giving marks while some of them are not. Will I not suffer on account of strict marking by my school?
Ans. No student would suffer because of strict marking or benefit from lenient marking as the Marking Scheme for all Question Papers in all major subjects would be provided by the Board and teachers would be
directed to adhere to the Marking Scheme in each subject. However, to avoid any such apprehension the Board is contemplating to undertake moderation of marks based on marks distribution of the students in the
school as well as random verification by the CBSE of the assessment done by the school.

Q12 If I have given an Option that I will be appearing in Board conducted SA-II but afterwards, say, in 22nd Dec., 2010, I want to change my option to school conducted SA-II, and vice-versa, will I be eligible to do that?
Ans. The Board expects you to make a conscious decision. However, for this year the Board will permit change of such options. All such requests, duly forwarded by the school, must be received in the Board’s concerned Regional Office latest by 15th December, 2010.

Click Here For Official Notification


NEW!  CBSE Papers PDF: Class-X, Class-XII