Union Public Service Commission
Special Class Railway Apprentices
SYLLABUS (Paper - 2)
- Length measurements using vernier, screw gauge, spherometer and optical
- Measurement of time and mass.
- Straight line motion and relationships among displacement, velocity and
- Newton's Laws of Motion, Momentum, impulse, work, energy and power.
- Coefficient of friction.
- Equilibrium of bodies under action of forces. Moment of a force, couple.
Newton’s Law of Gravitation. Escape velocity. Acceleration due to gravity.
- Mass and Weight; Centre of gravity, Uniform circular motion, centripetal
force, simple Harmonic motion. Simple pendulum.
- Pressure in a fluid and its variation with depth. Pascal’s Law.
Principle of Archimedes.
- Floating bodies, Atmospheric pressure and its measurement.
- Temperature and its measurement. Thermal expansion, Gas laws and
- Specific heat, latent heats and their measurement. Specific heat of
- Mechanical equivalent of heat. Internal energy and First law of
thermodynamics, Isothermal and adiabatic changes. Transmission of heat;
thermal conductivity. Wave motion; Longitudinal and transverse waves.
Progressive and stationary waves, Velocity of sound in gas and its
dependence on various factors. Resonance phenomena (air columns and
- Reflection and refraction of light. Image formation by curved mirrors
and lenses, Microscopes and telescopes. Defects of vision.
- Prisms, deviation and dispersion, Minimum deviation. Visible spectrum.
Field due to a bar magnet, Magnetic moment, Elements of Earth’s magnetic
- Dia, para and ferromagnetism.
- Electric charge, electric field and potential, Coulomb’s Law.
- Electric current; electric cells, e.m.f. resistance, ammeters and
voltmeters. Ohm’s law; resistances in series and parallel, specific
resistance and conductivity. Heating effect of current.
- Wheatstone’s bridge, Potentiometer.
- Magnetic effect of current; straight wire, coil and solenoid
electromagnet; electric bell.
- Force on a current-carrying conductor in magnetic field; moving coil
galvanometers; conversion to ammeter or voltmeter.
- Chemical effects of current; Primary and storage cells and their
functioning, Laws of electrolysis.
- Electromagnetic induction; Simple A.C. and D.C. generators.
Transformers, Induction coil, Cathode rays, discovery of the electron, Bohr
model of the atom. Diode and its use as a rectifier.
- Production, properties and uses of X-rays.
- Radioactivity; Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays.
- Nuclear energy; fission and fusion, conversion of mass into energy,
1. Atomic structure; Earlier models in brief. Atom as at three dimensional
model. Orbital concept. Quantum numbers and their significance, only elementary
treatment. Pauli’s Exclusion Principle. Electronic configuration. Aufbau
Principle, s.p.d. and f. block elements. Periodic classification only long form.
Periodicity and electronic configuration. Atomic radii, Electro-negativity in
period and groups.
2. Chemical Bonding, electro-valent, co-valent, coordinate covalent bonds. Bond
Properties, sigma and Pie bonds, Shapes of simple molecules like water, hydrogen
sulphide, methane and ammonium chloride. Molecular association and hydrogen
3. Energy changes in a chemical reaction. Exothermic and Endothermic Reactions.
Application of First Law of Thermodynamics, Hess’s Law of constant heat
4. Chemical Equilibria and rates of reactions. Law of Mass action. Effect of
Pressure, Temperature and concentration on the rates of reaction. (Qualitative
treatment based on Le Chatelier’s Principle). Molecularity; First and Second
order reaction. Concept of Energy of activation. Application to manufacture of
Ammonia and Sulphur trioxide.
5. Solutions : True solutions, colloidal solutions and suspensions. Colligative
properties of dillute solutions and determination of Molecular weights of
dissolved substances. Elevation of boiling points. Depressions of freezing
point, osmotic pressure. Raoult’s Law (non-thermodynamic treatment only).
6. Electro-Chemistry : Solution of Electrolytes, Faraday’s Laws of Electrolysis,
ionic equilibria, Solubility product. Strong and weak electrolytes. Acids and
Bases (Lewis and Bronstead concept). pH and Buffer solutions.
7. Oxidation — Reduction; Modern, electronics concept and oxidation number.
8. Natural and Artificial Radioactivity: Nuclear Fission and Fusion. Uses of
Brief Treatment of Elements and their industrially important compounds :
1. Hydrogen : Position in the periodic table. Isotopes of hydrogen.
Electronegative and electropositive character. Water, hard and soft water, use
of water in industries, Heavy water and its uses.
2. Group I Elements : Manufacture of sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate, sodium
bicarbonate and sodium chloride.
3. Group II Elements : Quick and slaked lime. Gypsum, Plaster of Paris.
Magnesium sulphate and Magnesia.
4. Group III Elements: Borax, Alumina and Alum.
5. Group IV Elements : Coals, Coke and solid Fuels, Silicates, Zolitis
semi-conductors. Glass (Elementary treatment).
6. Group V Elements. Manufacture of ammonia and nitric acid. Rock Phosphates and
7. Group VI Elements. Hydrogen peroxide, allotropy of sulphur, sulphuric acid.
Oxides of sulphur.
8. Group VII Elements. Manufacture and uses of Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and
Iodine, Hydrochloric acid. Bleaching powder.
9. Group O. (Noble gases) Helium and its uses.
10. Metallurgical Processes : General Methods of extraction of metals with
specific reference to copper, iron, aluminium, silver, gold, zinc and lead.
Common alloys of these metals; Nickel and manganese steels.
1. Tetrahedral nature of carbon, Hybridisation and sigma pie bonds and their
relative strength. Single and multiple bonds. Shapes of molecules. Geometrical
and optical isomerism.
2. General methods of preparation, properties and reaction of alkanes, alkenes
and alkynes, Petroleum and its refining. Its uses as fuel. Aromatic hydrocarbons
: Resonance and aromaticity. Benzene and Naphthalene and their analogues.
Aromatic substitution reactions.
3. Halogen derivatives : Chloroform, Carbon Tetrachloride, Chlorobenzene, D.D.T.
4. Hydroxy Compounds : Preparation, properties and uses of Primary, Secondary
and Tertiary alcohols, Methanol, Ethanol, Glycerol and Phenol, Substitution
reaction at aliphatic carbon atom.
5. Ethers; Diethyl ether.
6. Aldehydes and ketones : Formaldehyde, Acetaldehyde, Benzaldehyde, acetone,
7. Nitro compounds amines: Nitrobenzene TNT, Anlline, Diazonium Compounds,
8. Carboxylic acid : Formic, acetic, denezoic and salicylic acids, acetyl
9. Esters : Ethylacerate, Methyl salicylates, ethylbenzoate.
10. Polymers : Polythene, Teflon, Perpex, Artificial Rubber, Nylon and Polyester
11. Nonstructural treatment of Carbohydrates, Fats and Lipids, amino acids and
proteins - Vitamins and hormones.