Disclaimer: This website is not at associated with CBSE, For official website of CBSE visit - www.cbse.nic.in
(Info) CBSE vs ICSE | CBSE And ICSE Differences
CBSE And ICSE Differences
The syllabus of the CBSE is better manageable than that of other boards
like ICSE/ISC (Indian Council for Secondary Education). Although a broad-based
syllabus is generally perceived to be good, since it has a focused approach, it
increases the load on students, thus leading to stress. A student should be
given the option of studying only the basics of the language if his/her
interests lie elsewhere. This choice is given in CBSE, not in ICSE/ISC.
1. Unlike in ISC, the CBSE syllabus is presented in a more scientific manner.
The entire syllabus is divided into units and every unit is allotted the number
of periods required to cover it in the year and also the weight age of marks it
will carry in the examination. Thus, the teacher and student can plan the study
of the various segments of the syllabus accordingly.
2. The examination pattern of entrance examinations (IIT-JEE & PMT) follows that
of CBSE since CBSE conducts these examinations. This puts those ISC students who
are interested in competitive examinations at a disadvantage as they need to
reorient themselves to a different system. As ICSE also has no role to play in
3. The ICSE syllabus especially for higher standards is very heavy compared to
that of CBSE. ICSE has two papers in English, whereas CBSE has only one. ICSE
has three papers in Science (Physics, Chemistry & Biology) whereas CBSE has only
one. ICSE has two papers in Social Studies (History & Geography) whereas CBSE
has only one.
4. Environmental Education is compulsory at the ICSE & ISC examinations whereas
this is not so at the CBSE examination. CISCE, in a panic reaction to Supreme
Court ruling regarding Environmental Education, rushed into it while CBSE is
content to wait a review of this ruling where the matter may be either dropped
5. CBSE will give only grades in the examination results. This is seen as a
progressive move. ICSE has not made such an announcement as yet.
6. CISCE has no academically designed process or programme for syllabi revision/upgradation,
unlike CBSE which has syllabus reviewed on an ongoing basis.
7. It is a myth that ICSE is well recognized all over the world and not CBSE.
Now UCAS (Universities & Colleges Admissions Service- Central organisation
through which applications are processed for entry to higher education)
recognizes CBSE at par with ISC.