2. Penninsular region and the Himalayan region : The railway tracts are laid through low hills , gaps or tunnels .The Himalayan mountainous regions are unfavourable for the construction of railway lines due to high relief , sparse population and lack of economic opportunities .
3. Desert of Rajasthan: It was difficult to lay railway lines on the sandy plain of western Rajasthan which has hindered the development of railways .
4. Swamps of Gujarat , forested tracks of Madhya Pradesh , Chattisgarh , Odisha and Jharkhand are also not suitable for the development of railways.
5. The contiguous stretch of sahyadri could be crossed only through gaps or passes. Although the development of Konkan railway along the west coast has facilitated the movement of passengers and goods in the most important economic region of India. It has also faced a number of problems such as sinking of track in some stretches and landslides.
6. Penninsular plateau rich in minerals promotes industrial development, encourage the railway tracks.
(Any three points to be explained.)
(Atleast one physical and one economical )