India Wild Wisdom Quiz Papers,Middle School Level
Exam Name : India Wild Wisdom Quiz Papers
Subject : India Wild Wisdom Quiz Papers (Middle School Level) Question & Answer Keys
Year : 2015
MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVEL - CLASSES VI to VIII
Please encircle the correct answer
*1.This soil layer is of great value to life on earth. It is usually rich in humus and other minerals. Name it.
a) Topsoil b) Laterite soil c) Subsoil d) Bedrock
2. Arachnids have eight legs, how many legs do insects have?
a) Six b) Eight c) Ten d) Twelve
3. Introduced to the island by humans in the 1940s, birds of Guam had no experience or fear of this animal which caused the extinction of about 9 native birds – which creature is this?
a) Indian Mongoose b) Mosquito c) Cane Toad d) Brown Tree Snake
*4. Which of these is not a parasite, but an epiphyte, that is, it grows harmlessly on another organism and obtains its own nutrition?
a) Leech b)Orchid c)Fungus d) Tapeworm
5. Which of these major rivers flows entirely in India?
a)Ganga b)Indus c)Narmada d)Brahmaputra
*6. Like your first name and surname, scientific or Latin names of living things have two names -what do these denote?
a)Family and Genus b)Genus and Species c)Order and Family d)Class and Order
*7. Which of these snakes has adapted to digging?
a)Cobra b)Vipers c)Shieldtails d)Cat Snake
8. To encourage people of all ages to learn more about insects, which country celebrates National Insect Week once every two years?
a)India b)United Kingdom c)Brazil d)Indonesia
9. Of these herbivores, all except one are mainly grazers – which one is a browser?
a)Hippopotamus b)Green Sea Turtle c)Capybara d)Giraffe
10. Which of these animals, also found in India, is the largest wild mountain goat species in the world?
a)Himalayan Tahr b)Greater Blue Sheep c)Markhor d)Asiatic Ibex
11. Which protected area in the Indian sub-continent is no longer on the IUCN ‘List of World Heritage in Danger’ because of successful conservation action?
a)Lal Suhanra NP, Pakistan b) Manas WLS, India c)Chitwan NP, Nepal d)Yala NP, Sri Lanka
*12. How many species of mammals are found in India?
a)Between 150-250 b)Between 350-450 c)Between 1,050-1,150 d)Between 2,050-2,150
13. A baleen whale feeds by taking water into its mouth and filtering it out through the baleen which traps small animals like krill – what is baleen made of?
a)Bone b)Cartilage c)Muscle d)Keratin
*14. Now extinct, Martha was the last living individual of this once abundantly found North American bird – it is said a flock of these birds took around 3 days to pass overhead – which species is this?
a)Dodo b)Passenger Pigeon c)Pink-headed Duck d)Great Auk
*15. Marble, quartzite, slate and schist, which form due to extreme heat and pressure, are types of which kind of rock?
a)Igneous b)Sedimentary c)Metamorphic d) Meteorite
*16. An important factor that affects soil formation is the shape and features of the landscape, also known as -
a) Zoography b) Topography c) Geography d) Cartography
17. What is the term used for a group of turtles?
a)Bunch b)Box c)Bale d)Brood
*18. Exceptionally adaptable, leopards coexist with tigers and can live in almost all types of habitats – which tiger habitat in India has no leopards?
a)Bandipur b)Pench c)Rajaji d) Sundarban
*19. Which of these is the largest Indian Deer? An adult male can weigh up to 270 kg.
a) Barasingha b) Kashmir Red Deer c) Sambar d) Brow-antlered Deer
20. Related to whales and dolphins, which of these is the only porpoise species found in Indian waters?
a)Spectacled Porpoise b)Finless Porpoise c) Harbour Porpoise d)Dall’s Porpoise
21. The colour of the bald head and neck of the critically endangered Red-headed Vulture ranges from deep red to red-orange - what is this bird also known as?
a)Indian King Vulture b) Indian Black Vulture c)Pondicherry Vulture d)All of these
*22. Many species of animals including birds, bats, monkeys and deer practice geophagy, which is the practice of eating earth for digestive benefits – which type of soil is preferred by them?
a)Sand b)Gravel c)Clay d)Silt
* 23.To assist in the ongoing battle against wildlife crime in India, which animal has recently joined the ranks of the Special Armed Forces?
a)Tigers b)Gorillas c)Dogs d)Horses
24. Under which tree species did Mahavir, the 24th Tirthankar of the Jains attain enlightenment?
a)Peepul b)Sal c)Banyan d)Teak
25. Often made of Limestone, what is the rock formation that hangs from the ceiling of caves called?
a)Stalactite b)Stalagmite c)Stack d) Tor