Class – X
Subject – Carbon And Compounds
1. What are the covalent bonds?
2. Like carbon, silicon also shows the property of catenation, then why does
silicon not forms large number of compounds?
3. Name an isomer of n–butane.
4. In which allotrope of carbon, the carbon atoms are bonded to other carbon
atoms via single bond?
5. Draw the structure of complete molecule of cyclohexane.
6. Give the IUPAC name for the following. CH3 –C2H5-CH3
7. What is the chief constituent of beer, wine, whisky and other liquors?
8. Write the esterification reaction.
9. Name the gas which will evolve when sodium reacts with an alcohol.
10. Name the process in which naturally occurring oils and fats are treated with
sodium or potassium hydroxide solution.
11. What is methane? What is its formula? Which gases have methane as its major
12. Draw the electron dot structure of O2 and H2.
13. Write one reaction of ethanoic acid with carbonates and with hydrogen
14. What is a hetero atom? What is the hetero atom present in chloro methane and
15. What are halogens? Write two properties of alkaline earth metals and two of
16. Write the chemical equation for the following reactions.
(i) Combustion of propanol (ii) Oxidation of propanol (iii) Reaction of propanol
with potassium metal
17. Draw the structure of the isomers of pentane
18. X and Y are elements. Atomic number of X is 11 and Y is 9. Explain the
location of X and Y (with reasons) in modern periodic table.
19. Where are metals and non–metals located in the modern periodic table? How
does the reactivity of metal and non-metal vary in a group and a period in the
modern periodic table?
20. An element ‘x’ is present in the group 16 and period two of the modern
periodic table. Answer the following questions by giving reasons:
(a) Is x a metal or a non–metal?
(b) How many electrons are present in the valance shell of x?
(c) How many shells are present in an atom of x?
(d) Is x more reactive than the element present below it in the same group?
(e) Is x more reactive than the element which is present in same period but in
group 17? Or,
What happens when ethanol is oxidized with alkaline potassium permanganate
(or acidified potassium dichromate)? Write the equation of the reaction
involved. Name the product other than water formed on burning of ethanol in air.
Contributed By: Jsunil