(Paper) Previous Year Question Paper (BA LLB) - 2014
Section - II : General Knowledge and Current Affairs
1) Which of the following Judges of the Supreme Court of India is famously known as the Green Judge?
(A) Justice VR Krishna Iyyar
(B) Justice PN Bhagwati
(C) Justice Kuldip Singh
(D) Justice BN Kirpal
2) Law Day is observed on:
(A) 26th January
(B) 26th May
(C) 15th August
(D) 26th November
3) In which year. Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) was formed by the amalgamation of the Technical Development Establishment (TDE) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organisation (DSO):
4) The Reserve Bank of India was established in the year:
5) Lord Buddha’s image is sometimes shown with the hand gesture. called Bhumisparsha Mudra’. It signifies:
(A) Buddha’s calling of the Earth to watch over Mara and to prevent Mara from disturbing his meditation.
(B) Buddha's calling of the Earth to witness his purity and chastity despite the temptations of Mara.
(C) The gesture of debate or discussion/argument.
(D) Both (A) and (B) are correct.
6) Which of the following statements is INCORRECT about Fundamental Duties under the Constitution of India? It shall be the duty of every citizen of India
(A) To uphold and protect the sovereignty. unity and integrity of India.
(B) To strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavour and achievement.
(C) Who is a parent or guardian to provide opportunities for education to his child or. as the case may be, ward between the age of six and fourteen years.
(D) To vote in public elections.
7) Which one of the following scripts of ancient India was mostly written from right to left?
8) During the time of which Mughal Emperor did the East India Company establish its first factory in India?
9) Who, among the following. first translated the Bhagwat Gita into English?
(A) Charles Wilkins
(B) Alexander Cunningham
(C) William Jones
(D) James Prinsep
10) Match List I with List II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
List I (Author) List II (Work)
a Devaki Nandan Khatri 1 Chandrakanta
b Premchand 2 Durgeshnandini
c Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay 3 Nil Darpan
4 Seva Sadan
(A) a-4; b-3; c-l
(B) a-l; b-4′. c-3
(C) a-2; b-1; c-3
(D) a-l; b-4; c-2
11) Match List I with List 11 and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
List I (Person) List II (Position)
a Nagendra Singh 1 Chief Election Commissioner of India
b SH Kapadia 2 President of the International Court of Justice
c NR Madhava Menon 3 Former Chief Justice of India
d VS Sampath 4 Legal educator and Founder-Director of National Law School of India University
(A) a-2; b-3; c-1; d-4
(B) a-4; b-3; c-2; d-1
(C) a-l; b-2; c-4: d-3
(D) a-2; b-3; c-4; (1-1
12) Who was not a Chief Justice of India?
(A) Justice M Patanjali Sastri
(B) Justice KN Wanchoo
(C) Justice HR Khanna
(D) Justice MN Venkatachaliah
13) Who was the first Attomey-General for India?
(A) CK Daphtary
(B) MC Setalvad
(C) Niren De
(D) LN Sinha
14) Under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi. the Civil Disobedience Movement. launched in 1930, started from?
15) Match List I with List II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
List I (Events) List II (Results)
a Dandi March 1 Communal electorate
b Chauri Chaura 2 Illegal manufacture of salt
c Simon Commission 3 Country-wise agitation
d Morley Minto Reforms 4 Withdrawal of a movement
(A) a-l: b-2; c-3; d-4
(B) a-4; b-3; c-2: d-1
(C) a-2: b-4; c-3; d-I
(D) a-1; b-4; c-3; d-2
16) Which of the following planets has the maximum number of natural satellites?
17) In India, the interest rate on savings accounts in all the nationalised commercial banks is fixed by?
(A) Union Ministry of Finance
(B) Union Finance Commission
(C) Indian Banks Association
(D) None of the above
18) Solvents are the substances used to dissolve other substances. Consider the following substances: (1) Water (2) Ether (3) Toluene (4) Chloroform (5) Ethanol
Which of the above can be used as solvents?
(A) 1 and 2
(B) 2 and 3
(C) 3. 4 and 5
(D) All of these
19) Viruses are parasitic. having DNA/RNA; but. they can be crystallised and lack respiration.
Therefore, they are treated as:
(A) Living beings
(B) Non-living beings
(C) Both living and non-living beings
(D) None of the above
20) Who is the winner of the coveted Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2013?
(A) Javed Akhtar
(C) AR Rahman
21) Who among the following has been recently appointed as brand ambassador for Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF):
(A) Aamir Khan
(B) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
(C) MC Mary Kom
(D) Sania Mirza
22) Till date (2014), how many people have been awarded the Bharat Ratna Award?
23) Which country Malala Yousafzai belongs to?
(C) The USA
24) Who recently became the first woman chief of the State Bank of India?
(A) Arundhati Bhattacharya
(B) Shubhalakshmi Panse
(C) Vijaylakshmi Iyer
(D) Chanda Kochhar
25) Who is the Chairman of the 14″„ Finance Commission„?
(A) Dr M Govinda Rao
(B) Dr Vijay Kelkar
(C) Dr YV Reddy
(D) Dr Raghuram Rajan
26) The Chairperson of the Seventh Pay Commission is:
(A) Justice BN Srikrishna
(B) Justice DK Jain
(C) Justice AP Shah
(D) Justice AK Mathur
27) Which one of the following is NOT correctly matched?
United Nations Specialized Agency Headquarters
(A) International Civil Aviation Organization Montreal
(B) World Trade Organization Geneva
(C) United Nations Industrial Development Organization Brussels
(D) International Fund for Agricultural Development Rome
28) The First Five Year Plan of India was based on:
(A) John W Miller Model
(B) PC Mahalanobis Model
(C) Gadgil Yojana
(D) Herrod-Domar Model
29) Which one of the following measures is NOT likely to aid in improving lndia‟s balance of payment position?
(A) Promotion of import substitution policy
(B) Devaluation of rupee
(C) Imposition of higher tariff on imports
(D) Levying the higher duty on exports
30) Find out the correct chronological sequence of the following persons‟ visit to India at one time or another: (I) Fa-Hien (2) I-Tsing (Yijing) (3) Megasthanese (4) Hiuen-Tsang.
31) Which was the first newspaper to be published in India?
(A) Bombay Samachar
(B) The Hindu
(C) Bengal Chronicle
(D) Bengal Gazette
32) The change in the colour of stars is linked to:
(A) Variation in their surface temperature
(B) Variation in their distance from the earth
(C) Fluctuations in their composition and size
(D) Irregular absorption or scattering in earth's atmosphere
33) Which one of the following does NOT remain to be a planet now?
34) Who was appointed as the 23″„ Governor of the Reserve Bank of India?
(A) KC Chakmbarty
(B) Urijit Patel
(C) Raghuram Rajan
(D) D Subbarao
35) Which one of following offices is held during the pleasure of the President of India?
(B) Governor of a State
(C) Chief Justice of India
(D) Comptroller and Auditor General of India
36) Who was the first winner of the prestigious Jnanpith Award?
(A) Tarasankar Bandyopadhyay
(B) Kuppali Venkatappagowda Puttappa
(C) Sankara Kump
(D) Umashankar Joshi
37) Match List I with List 11 and choose the correct answer:
(A) 1 3 4 2
(B) 2 1 3 4
(C) 2 3 1 4
(D) 3 4 1 2
38) Who was among the following honoured with Arjun Award in Chess for the year 2013?
(A) Kavita Chahal
(B) Parimarjan Negi
(C) Ronjan Sodhi
(D) Abhijeet Gupta
39) Economic growth rate projected by the IMF for India in the fiscal year 2014-15 is:
(A) 5.4 per cent
(B) 5.5 per cent
(C) 5.6 per cent
(D) 5.7 per cent
40) Who was sworn in as the Prime Minister of Italy on 22”“ February 2014′.
(A) Oleksandr Turchynov
(B) Matteo Renzi
(C) Enrico Letta
(D) Giorgio Napolitano
41) Which one of following is the highest peacetime gallantry award of India?
(A) Param Vir Chakra
(B) Ashok Chakra
(C) Maha Vir Chakra
(D) Kirti Chakra
42) Which one of the following gases is lighter than air?
(A) Carbon dioxide
43) Name the scientist who is known as the father of modern genetics:
(A) A Jean-Baptiste Lamarck
(B) Hugo de Vries
(C) Gregor Johann Mendel
(D) Charles Darwin
44) Which year was designated by the United Nations as International Women’s Year!
45) Mention the correct abbreviation for ATM:
(A) Automated Teller Machine
(B) Any Time Money
(C) All Time Money
(D) Auto-limited Teller Machine
46) General Election is being held in India from 7 April to 12 May 2014 to constitute:
(A) 14th Lok Sabha
(B) 15th Lok Sabha
(C) 16th Lok Sabha
(D) 17th Lok Sabha
47) Mention the name of the current Chief Justice of India:
(A) Justice Altamas Kabir
(B) Justice P Sathasivam
(C) Justice R M Lodha
(D) Justice H L Dattu
48) The 9th Ministerial Conference of the WTO, held during 3 December-6 December 2013 was concluded at:
(A) Geneva. Switzerland
(B) Kaula Lumpur. Malaysia
(C) Warsaw. Poland
(D) Bali. Indonesia
49) Nobel Prize in Literature for the year 2013 was awarded to:
(A) Mo Yan
(B) James E Rothman
(C) Lars Peter
(D) Hansen Alice Munro
50) Which one of the following satellites was successfully launched by the ISRO’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C24) on 4th April 2014?
1. (c) 2. (d) 3. (b) 4. (b) 5. (d) 6. (d) 7. (c) 8. (b) 9. (a) 10. (d) 11. (d) 12. (c) 13. (b) 14. (a) 15. (c) 16. (d) 17. (d) 18. (d) 19. (c) 20. (b) 21. (c) 22. (d) 23 (a). 24. (a) 25. (c) 26. (d) 27. (c) 28. (d) 29. (d) 30. (c) 31. (d) 32. (a) 33. (c) 34. (c) 35. (b) 36. (c) 37. (c) 38. (d) 39. (a) 40. (b) 41. (b) 42. (d) 43. (c) 44. (b) 45. (a) 46. (c) 47. (c) 48. (d) 49. (d) 50. (a)