ARYABHATA GANIT CHALLENGE
The ability to reason logically and present arguments in honest and
convincing ways is a skill that is becoming increasingly important in today’s
world. In mathematics, students learn that, with proper reasoning and
assumptions, they can arrive at results that they can fully trust to be true in
a wide variety of real-life contexts. While applying mathematics in daily life
students develop the competencies required for mathematication. During the
process of mathematisation students recognize and identify opportunities to use
mathematics and then provide mathematical structure to a problem presented in
some contextualized form. It is important that students apply mathematical
concepts, facts, procedures and reasoning to solve mathematically formulated
problems to obtain mathematical conclusions. Students should also be able to
reflect upon mathematical solutions, results or conclusions and interpret them
context of the real-life problem.
To promote above mentioned competencies among students through joyful
assessment, a Ganit Challenge is being conducted by CBSE. The Computer Based
Test will mainly focus on the extent to which children are able to apply
mathematics to their daily life. The feedback from the performance of the test
will help the Board to handhold the schools and children in application of
mathematics in daily life. The details of the proposed test are as under:
- First stage: All students of class VIII-X in CBSE affiliated
- Second stage: Top three students from each affiliated school
registered for the first stage.
(i) Application of Mathematics in daily life (20 marks )
- Change and relationships
- Space and Shape
- Uncertainty and data
(ii) Joy of Mathematics Learning (20 marks)
- History of Mathematics
- Current affairs in Mathematics
- Mathematics all around us
(iii) Mathematical ability (20 marks)
- Numerical Ability
- Spatial Ability
and total marks:
- Test will be of one hour with objective type questions. Total weight age
shall be 60 marks and there shall be no negative marks.
conduct of test and Selection :
- The test shall be conducted in two stages:
First stage :
- An affiliated school can apply through the link available on
www.cbse.nic.in on or before 15th November 2019 till 5.30 p.m. To avoid last
moment rush, schools are advised to register well before the last date. No
fees shall be charged for the first stage.
- During the period from 18th to 22nd November 2019 a question paper will
be made available to the registered schools with answer keys through the
- The school registered shall conduct the test and identify three top
students by administering the test. In case more than three students getting
same mark at the top level, a suitable screening test may be conducted by
the schools at their own level to identify the top three students.
- Schools shall register the names of these three top students by paying
Rs. 900/- fees by logging in through the online link during 18 to 25th
November 2019. During this stage, this link can only be accessed by
the schools which registered for the test before the last date.
- A computer based test will be conducted by the board for the top three
students registered from each school on 29th November 2019. Only the schools
who have completed the first stage shall be eligible for the second stage.
- The detailed modalities of conduct of the test shall be communicated to
the schools that register class VIII-X students for the challenge.
- Top 100 students from each CBSE region will be given Merit certificate.
- There shall be no fees for participating in the first stage. However Rs.
900/- shall be charged for appearing in the challenge for the Final stage.
Fees are accepted only through debit card/ Credit Card/ NEFT at the time of
registration. Fee once paid shall not be refundable.
the schools promoting the challenge:
- 10 schools from each region with maximum number of student participation
in the first stage shall be given an appreciation certificate by the Board.
All schools may encourage their students to participate in Āryabhaṭa Ganit
Challenge as it gives an excellent opportunity to identify and nurture
Mathematical skills and potential of students. The participation and performance
in this challenge may be acknowledged in the portfolio of the students.
Courtesy: CBSE Academic