(Download) CBSE Class-12 2016-17 Sample Paper And Marking
Scheme (Theatre Studies)
1. There are 24 questions in all.
2. All the questions are compulsory.
3. Question No. 1 to 5 are very short answer questions carrying 1 mark each.
Answer to each of these should not exceed 15 words.
4. Question No. 6 to 10 are short answer questions carrying 2 marks each. Answer
to each of these should not exceed 50 words.
5. Question No. 11 to 17 are long answer questions carrying 3 marks each. Answer
to each of these should not exceed 75 words.
6. Question No. 18 to 21 are long answer questions carrying 4 marks each. Answer
to each of these should not exceed 100 words.
7. Question No. 22 to 24 are essay type answer questions carrying 6 marks each.
Answer to each of these should not exceed 200 words
8. Differences must be tabulated with proper basis for distinction.
1. What two essential qualities should be there in a good
actor? 1 3/R
2. Name the place where the audience and the performers
interact? 1 3/H
3. Which type of casting is a directors’ best insurance for a
good production? 1 3/A
4. Name any two playwrights who delved into Indian folk
tradition to create plays to protest against colonialism, social injustice and
5. Name the theatre training institute set up by the Sangeet
Natak Akademi? 1 1/U
6. “The clothing and various costumes worn in a play have a
very important role to fulfill”, in the light of the above statement explain
what should a costume designer aim at?
7. Shakti is actively involved with theatre. He helps the
theatre students to acquire confidence , speaking skills and sense timings by
coaching them in the technique of acting , directing, playwright and history of
theatre. Identify and explain the role played by Shakti.
8. Recently a school organized a programme where they enacted
creative curriculum based topics through theatre making it interesting, engaging
and educative. The objectives of which branch of NSD have been achieved by this
school? How it encourages students to become independent learners?
9. What is meant by ‘Fourth Wall Concept’?
10. Theatre is a collective endeavor that requires
documentation of the theatre research. Identify and explain the two phases of
11. Explain the importance of the use of properties within
12. How does the make-up and costume enhances the value of
the performance of the actors in a play on stage?
13. How an actor’s emotional range and ability to ‘live
truthfully under imaginative circumstances’ adds to his/her emotional range and
intellectual capacity to improvise instinctively on stage? Which technique
emphasizes on defeating self-consciousness while performing?
14. What impact did the ancient Greek have on the modern
western theater? 3 1/R
15. Harry is a non-conventional writer whose plays are not
accepted by the main stream playwrights. He moved on with his style and provided
a platform to other playwrights to stage their new writings.
a. Identify the concept of modern theatre is discussed in the
b. Name the Modern western playwright who introduced this concept.
c. Name the forms of theatre that became significant during that period.
16. Indian Theatre expands the boundaries of what is usually
regarded as “theatre” in order to explore the multiple dimensions of theatrical
performance. After Independence, in 1947, in their efforts to create an ‘Indian’
theatre that was different from the Westernized, colonial theatre, Indian
theatre practitioners began returning to their ‘roots’ in classical dance,
religious ritual, martial arts, popular entertainment and aesthetic theory. With
reference to ‘Theatre in roots’ explain the Indian Drama Scene after
independence to link theatre to the cultural roots of the country.
17. ‘Gathering Data’ and ‘reviewing data’ are the two levels
of explorations in research work. Explain these two levels.
18. State the two techniques to arrange the light that is
used to illuminate the stage. Also give any two properties of light.
19. 'Producing a play for theatre is an art'. How perfection
be attained in theatre arts? What all values an actor and director must have to
play their parts with conviction?
20. Describe the changes that were brought about in theatre
with the advent of modernism in late nineteenth and twentieth century ?
21. What is meant by ‘Thearetical Research’. State any two
values a theatre researcher can communicate to the society.
22. “While choosing plays a director focuses on various
elements of a play”. What are the elements of a play? Discuss any four in
23. Which system of training focus on the development of
artistic truth on stage by teaching actors to ‘experience the past ‘while
creating dramatic persona? How effective it will be for the actors to express
their emotions in a play. Elucidate.
24. Write in detail about the life and works of one Indian
Playwright who changed the modern and contemporary scene of Indian theatre.